Last Updated on
Last update: 24th March 2019
If you are looking for a quiet vacuum cleaner but still have powerful suction and versatility, let’s check our definitive guide where we analyze 30+ quietest vacuum cleaners in all design including canister, upright, cordless and corded unit to short-list to a few best silent units with great performance for your consideration.
Skip the intro ? – > Jump to the best quiet vacuum list in 2019
What we cover in this guide-> Quick navigation
- What is a quiet vacuum
- Best quiet/ silent vacuum- Quick buying tips
- Best quiet vacuum cleaner list in 2019
- Detail model reviews
What is a quiet vacuum
A quiet vacuum cleaner is a common seek in these recent years because it is more comfortable and reduces distress for senior users. Besides, if you are having pets at home, it is likely that a vacuum cleaner with a low noise will not scare them running away.
A quiet vacuum cleaner is defined by the noise level it creates during operation which is under 70 dB. This is much lower than a casual unit (which is mostly 80 dB-100 dB).
When searching a vacuum cleaner at low noise, you also need to combine with suction power, ergonomic value and the price to gain more benefits from your purchase.
Best quiet/ silent vacuum- Quick buying tips
When choosing any unit, you first have to consider your floor types (you need a silent vacuum for hardwood floor and tile only, or you also want to clean high pile carpet), your companions at home (do you have dog and cat), the price and the brand you would like to choose. Here are a few quick tips that will help you to figure out what you need to look for
If you need a silent vacuum for bare floors (like hardwood, tiles, sealed laminate…)
When dealing with bare floors, then you can either pick an upright vacuum cleaner or a canister unit with high-quality floor attachment.
There are quite many canister units and a few upright units that can satisfy your demands from a lot of great brands such as Miele, Electrolux, Sanitaire, Shark…with low noise level.
Each model will have pros and cons differently because they are aimed at different cleaning demands ,however, a good unit should have strong airflow and suction power, adjustable suction level, large dust bin, lightweight, easy to use, high quality additional tools and a long cord.
Cheap units tend to have less features and stiff swivel control while a well constructed unit will have a higher price mostly.
If you have pets
If you are in this case, then you should look for models with HEPA filtration (or S-class filtration), preferable if it has odor filter and a motorized brush tool for effective pickup pet hairs from above surfaces.
If you need a quiet vacuum for hard floors and carpet cleanings
You should look for models with a brush roll optimized for picking up pet hair from rugs or carpets (a beater bar included model). Besides, cleaning carpet requires a stronger suction power, therefore, you should also notice the airflow and suction power that the unit can deliver. You might need a powerful cordless stick unit or a full-size upright unit for better performance than a canister version.
Best quiet vacuum cleaner list in 2019
Here are the best-rated models with low noise (measured by dB) which also deliver throughout cleaning performance with high rating from consumers
|No||Brand- model||Design||Noise level (dB)||Price and details|
|1||Shark APEX Duoclean AX951||full-size upright||around 65 dB||Check price|
|2||Miele Dynamic U1||full-size upright||under 70 dB||Check price|
|3||Sebo Automatic X4||full-size upright||around 66 dB||Check price|
|4||Dyson V8||cordless stick||under 70 dB||Check price|
Apart from the highly recommended units above, there are still several vacuum cleaner with low noise under 70 dB from other brands such as
- Electrolux Ultrasilencer
- Sanitaire Silent Performer
- Hoover Quiet Force bagged canister unit
- Panasonic quiet force vacuum
However, these models are not the popular choice for consumers, they are also less flexible and powerful than the models in the list, but they are cheaper therefore they can be a great alternative option if you are in a tight budget
Detail model reviews
1. Shark APEX Duoclean AX951
” Shark APEX Duoclean AX951 – Shark most advanced upright unit for ultimate performance on all floor types. Appeared by the end of 2017 and gain popularity and high rating on the market, this can be regarded as best quiet upright vacuum”
Shark APEX Duoclean AX951 is Shark latest vacuum cleaner which has all of Shark advanced technologies for better performance, such as an improved brushroll (a bristle and a soft roller on a single brush head), advanced sealed air system plus HEPA for more efficient filtration than standard HEPA 10 times, smooth gliding wheels, lift-away canister for cleaning under bedding and sofa, and this unit uses Shark unique insulation technology that reduces the noise level down under 70 dB (it is measured around 65 dB in reality)
- Strongest shark vacuum cleaner
- Powerful suction (11.3 amps motor), comparable to Dyson strongest unit (Dyson Animal 2)
- Large dustbin (1.5 dry quarts) with sealed air system and HEPA
- Fingertips control, bright LEDs for more convenience
- Perform excellent on both bare floor and high plush carpets
- Great for pulling out pet hairs from carpet foundation
- Recommended if you have pets and allergy
- Long cord (30 ft) and lightweight (16 lbs)
- 7 years limited warranty
Shark APEX Duoclean AX951 pros and cons
2. Miele Dynamic U1 cat and dog- German engineered upright unit
The Miele Dynamic U1 cat and dog is Miele most popular upright unit. One of the best parts about Miele Dynamic U1 is that it uses Vortex technology to create a massive airflow up to 140 CFM.
Unlike any upright vacuum cleaner, you have ever known, this unit has 2 motors, one main motor for suction power and a collateral motor for the brush system to give more air agitation.
This unit uses one of the best air filtration system: a combination of HEPA filter plus charcoal cassette (called Activeclean filter) that can absorb up to 99.97 percent of allergen size down to 0.3 microns for 12 months. The unit has a swivel neck for better maneuverability, a long 54 ft cleaning radius and a lot of on-board tools.
- Noise level: only under 70 dB
- Massive airflow – up to 140 CFM
- 2 motor system
- HEPA plus charcoal filtration – best for users with asthma and pets at home
- Work well for all surfaces from bare floors to deep pile carpet
- Large dust bin capacity (5.45 quarts)
- 7 years limited warranty
Miele Dynamic U1 cat and dog pros and cons
3. Sebo Automatic X4
“Sebo Automatic X4 – German legendary upright with the lowest noise level, built with precision quality. As it is designed for professional grade cleaning capacity, Sebo Automatic X4 can be considered as the best quiet commercial vacuum so far.”
Sebo Automatic X4 is an upright vacuum from German Sebo brand, which is famous by the S-class filtration system (S-class filtration -or hospital grade filtration level – capture 99.9 % dust and allergen size down to 0.3 microns by using electrostatically charged fiber materials, thus preventing the allergen to clog on the filter and increasing the life span of the machine more than HEPA). With this S-class filtration level, Sebo X4 is approved by British Allergy Foundation for users with asthma
The Sebo Automatic X4 has a great suction level (about 105 CFM, a bit lower than Miele Dynamic U1 but it is very powerful), it has automatic brush height adjustment to optimize for different floor types, low profile (3 1/2’’ only) so you can let it lay flat on floor to clean under sofa areas.
- Noise level – only about 66 dB
- Strong suction – 105 CFM
- Ergonomic design with low profile for reaching under furniture easily
- Automatic brushroll adjustment for cleaning all surfaces from bare floors to deep carpet
- Machine protection mechanism with automatic shut off when dealing with obstacles, clogged items
- Special light indicators – for more visual
- Easy Brush Removal and Cleaning
- Protective Rubber-coated Wheels to protect wooden floors
- 40 ft cord
- 7 years limited warranty
Sebo Automatic X4 pros and cons
- Sebo Automatic X4 is a well-known machine with trusted quality
- Ergonomic design for cleaning better and ensure the machine quality over decades
- Strong suction power and flexible with 40 ft cord
- Super quiet when running
- It can lay flat on the floor for cleaning under furniture
- Super filtration system to reach S-class level
- XL dust bag, great additional tools and very durable for decades
- Expensive – Sebo machine price is similar to Dyson unit which can be a barrier to users
- No automatic cord rewind, no variable suction control
- The model looks classic therefore you might not love the appearance of the machine
4. Dyson V8 Absolute
“Dyson V8 Absolute – best cordless stick vacuum, lowest noise compared with all cordless design on the market. This is the best lightweight quiet vacuum cleaner”
Dyson V8 is the ultimate cordless stick vacuum that has all of the greatness that you can find in a cordless vacuum cleaner. The unit is extremely lightweight (only 5.8 lbs.), can run for more than 40 minutes, powerful suction, 2 suction modes and it is a rare cordless stick that has HEPA filtration. Dyson V8 is certified as asthma friendly by the Allergy Foundation of America.
Main benefits of Dyson V8 Absolute
- Low noise – only about 70 dB, which is the lowest noise measured compared with similar models
- Powerful performance – Dyson V8 has 150% more power on the brush bar than Dyson V6, longer run time (40 minutes on casual mode and 25 minutes when using with floor tools)
- Extremely lightweight – only 5.8 lbs, lighter than Shark and Hoover rivals
- HEPA filtration – best for users with pets and asthma
- Large dustbin
- A lot of attachments
- Long warranty up to 5 years
- Ergonomic design reduces fatigue when using as a handheld model
Dyson V8 Absolute pros and cons
You may love to read