Last Updated on
last update: 22nd February 2019
Choosing a carpet cleaner can be confused if you don’t know the technical specifications of the machines. However, if you know what are your cleaning requirements, then we can help you to figure out the best carpet cleaner that fits your criteria.
Skip the intro? Jump to the best carpet cleaner list 2019 now
What we cover in this guide-> Quick navigation
- Choosing a carpet cleaner – Quick tips
- If you are seeking a carpet cleaner for general use
- If you need to wash big areas
- If you have to clean pet stains like dog urine, cat hair, vomit…
- If you have kids at home
- You have to clean tough stains and soiled carpets
- If you are on a tight budget
- If you want to clean the carpet with professional cleaning results
- If you do not have space for storage
- Benefits of using a carpet cleaner
- Top-Rated Carpet Cleaner for Regular Home Use List 2019
- Detail top-rated carpet cleaner reviews for 2019
- Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150
- Hoover Smartwash Automatic Carpet Cleaner FH52000
- Bissell 1548 ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Full-Size Carpet Cleaner
- Hoover FH50251PC Power Scrub Elite Pet Carpet Cleaner
- Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner
- Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner
- BISSELL DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner, 17N4
- Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner
- Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner Machine
- How to choose a carpet cleaner- Buying guide
Choosing a carpet cleaner – Quick tips
Finding a carpet cleaner entirely depends on your cleaning routines. Here are some best practice tips to choose a carpet cleaner (or carpet shampooer)
If you are seeking a carpet cleaner for general use
If you are about to find a carpet cleaner for home use such as cleaning low pile carpet, upholstery, and stair, then you have to choose an upright carpet cleaner (full-size) with
- a decent motor power
- broad cleaning path
- big water tank capacity
- lightweight so you can maneuver around.
Besides, if you want the carpet to dry faster, you should choose the model that has forced air to speed up carpet drying time, and it is ideal to have 2 cleaning modes (quick mode- or so called express mode and deep mode).
Hoover FH50150 Carpet Basics Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner and Hoover FH50251PC Power Scrub Elite Pet Carpet Cleaner are among most popular choice since they own all required features for home use and they are very affordable.
The Hoover FH50150 is the most popular upright carpet cleaner, and Hoover FH50251 is a refresh from the FH50150 model, by adding extra value such as speed cleaning mode for super drying time (in 45 minutes), bigger water tank (1.25 Gallon vs 1.0 Gallon) and an improved brushroll with antimicrobial materials.
Price: $128.99Was: $219.99
Price: $167.99Was: $199.00
If you need to wash big areas
When you deal with big carpet, you should choose a carpet cleaner which has big water tank capacity (so you don’t need to change the water frequently) and a big cleaning path (ideally 13”).
Besides, cleaning big area requires more efforts, therefore, you also need to choose a lightweight model so you can carry around without being fatigue.
If you have to clean pet stains like dog urine, cat hair, vomit…
If your floor is covered low pile carpets, medium pile carpets then you have to choose an upright model that is optimized for pet messes and pet hair picks up because not all carpet cleaners are capable of picking pet hair without loosing power due to hair clogging.
There are some highly recommended models for pet owners such as Bissell Proheat 1548 and Bissell Proheat 2X 1986 (Bissell 1986 is the upgrade model of Bissell proheat 1548)
If you are dealing with pet messes on upholstery surfaces mostly, then you can rely on a portable carpet cleaner to clean pet stains.
There are some spot carpet cleaners for pet stains such as Hoover Spotless Fh11300PC, Bissell SpotClean Professional, Rug Doctor Mighty Portable... which are all suitable for pet stain cleaning.
When dealing with pet urine, you should use cold water (do not use hot water because it will vaporize urine crystal into ammonia smell) and urine eliminator to pre-treat the mess before cleaning it with a carpet cleaner.
If you have kids at home
If you have kids, you should choose a carpet cleaner that has wash and rinse feature so that you can remove all of the chemical residues out of the carpets.
For this case, the most popular choice goes to Hoover FH50150 Carpet Basics Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner and Hoover FH50251PC Power Scrub Elite Pet Carpet Cleaner (same as models for home use)
You have to clean tough stains and soiled carpets
If you have to remove worst stains or to clean highly soiled carpet, you should choose a model with the strong rotating brush head, more brush units on the brush head and big motor power.
Bissell Big Green Professional and Rug Doctor Mighty Pro are two most powerful carpet cleaning machines. The robust performance of them will relive your carpets as new. These models are the used by professional cleaning services.
If you are on a tight budget
When you are looking for a carpet cleaner at an affordable price (around $100 range), there are just a few options to choose from and the most popular choice is Bissell powerlifter powerbrush upright carpet cleaner and shampooer 1622.
If you want to clean the carpet with professional cleaning results
Some powerful commercial carpet cleaners that can give you professional cleaning results are Bissell Big Green and Rug Doctor Mighty Pro. Both of them are giant carpet cleaners that are found at rental units.
If you do not have space for storage
When you do not have much space, you should choose a model which has a small footprint and collapsible handle so you can store it in a kitchen cabinet.
However, except for full-size commercial carpet cleaners, most of the upright carpet cleaners have similar design and they are very easy for storage so you do not actually need a specific model even you have little space for storage.
In case you want a really compact model, then you can check for Hoover Spotless (portable) or Bissell Proheat 1548 (upright).
Benefits of using a carpet cleaner
- A carpet cleaner can not only clean your carpet, upholstery, stains, pet messes, or even tiles or wood flooring perfectly, but it can extend the shelf-life of your carpets
- Cleaning the carpet regularly will protect yourself from allergic factors and bacteria, which is recommended if you have kids or breathing issue
- Use a proper carpet cleaner/shampooer will not leave detergent residues after cleaning, which is better for your family members if they often spend time on carpet.
Top-Rated Carpet Cleaner for Regular Home Use List 2019
To give an unbiased reviews of best carpet cleaners, we have analysed available carpet cleaners on the markets and bring you the short-list of top rated models from a many famous brands such as Hoover, Bissell, Rug Doctor. Here is the best carpet cleaner list 2018 (reviews of each model is presented below).
Detail top-rated carpet cleaner reviews for 2019
Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150
“PICK ME because I’m the best affordable, capable of all home cleaning tasks and No.1 Best Seller for 5 years”
The Hoover FH50150 Carpet Basics Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner is the sell monster of Hoover brand, which has placed as No.1 Best Seller on Amazon (Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning Equipment) for consecutive years.
This Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150 is the best “All-in-one” carpet cleaner that stands as the No.1 best seller for 5 years. This upright carpet cleaner is a high performing model that is suitable for casual carpet cleaning tasks, area and spot cleaning tasks, pet messes and upholstery cleaning.
Highlighting features of this Hoover FH50150 includes
- Affordable price
- Powerful motor (10 amps), indicating the suction and cleaning power is extremely high
- Lightweight 18.1 lbs, this is also one of the lightest upright carpet cleaner on the market
- Easy to use and well designed
- Automatic detergent mixing tank the machine will mix cleaning formula with water itself.
- Long power cord (20.ft), this carpet cleaning machine is very versatile to clean in big area.
- 2 year limited warranty time
Comparison between Hoover FH50150 and Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner Cleaner
The Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150 can be regarded as a side-by-side competitor to Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner in terms of regular cleaning. If you are dealing with floor carpets and rugs, upholstery cleaning, stair cleaning Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150 is a better choice because it is cheaper than Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner Cleaner.
On the other hands, if you need to tackle heavily soiled carpet, Rug Doctor Deep Cleaner will save your time. With Rug Doctor model, you just only need to clean 1 stroke for carpet embedded with dirt, but you might need to clean 2-3 stroke with Hoover FH50150 model to achieve the similar cleaning performance.
Pros and Cons of Hoover FH50150 Carpet Basics Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner
Hoover Smartwash Automatic Carpet Cleaner FH52000
“PICK ME because I’m the next generation of automatic carpet cleaner”
Hoover SmartWash carpet cleaner FH52000 is the new released carpet cleaner from Hoover brand, featuring the unique benefit of automatic cleaning: you push forward to clean and backward to dry the carpet. Using this carpet cleaner is as simple as a vacuum model, you do not need to measure the cleaning solution because Hoover Smartwash will do that itself. This model is will be a relief for busy person, no more hassle, just powerful only.
Highlighting benefits of Hoover SmartWash carpet cleaner FH52000
- Automatic cleaning – push forward to wash and pull backward to dry
- Triggerless handle – the unit is controlled with a touch handle, no need to press constantly to spray the solution
- New brush design – this model uses FlexForce brushroll, Hoover newest brush generation to tackle tougher stains and pet messes.
- Easy-to-remove nozzle – the transparent nozzle can be taken out in 1 step only.
- Clean under furniture – this model has a low profile foot allowing you to clean under table, bed,…
- Upholstery cleaning – a long hose ( 9 ft.) for extended reach
Pros and cons of Hoover SmartWash carpet cleaner FH52000
Bissell 1548 ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Full-Size Carpet Cleaner
“PICK ME because I’m the best recommended by pet owners, capable of quick clean and deep clean”
The Bissell 1548 ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Full-Size Carpet Cleaner is recommended as the best carpet cleaner for pet owners by thousands of users. When dealing with pet hair and pet stains, many carpet cleaners fail to remove the urine smell (urine crystal is very hard to be degraded) and to pick up the pet hair. However, the Bissell 1548 is recognized on its ability to clean the stain and to pick up pet hair completely without clogging the brush.
Besides, it features two cleaning modes (regular quick cleaning and deep cleaning). The quick cleaning mode will help you to clean the carpet daily and it can let your carpet dried in less than 1 hour. The deep cleaning mode will let you to clean heavily dirty carpet deep down to carpet foundation.
Another great benefit of Bissell 1548 ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Full-Size Carpet Cleaner is the low brush head profile (not many upright carpet cleaner has this design). This is extremely useful when you clean under furniture, hard to reach areas without removing the furniture.
Highlighting features of Bissell 1548 ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Full-Size Carpet Cleaner
- Two cleaning mode: Fast mode for quick clean-up with only 1 hour carpet drying time. Deep cleaning mode for treating toughest stains
- Heatwave technology: keep the water warm, which is a good factor for loosing the dirt from carpet fibers.
- Remove tough stains, complex stains such as pet urine, feces, blood, grease, oil, coffee and more.
- Lightweight (17.5 lbs only) and low-profile foot for cleaning under furniture easier.
- A lot of tools and cleaning solutions included: Tough Stain Tool, (1) Pet Stain Tool, Deep cleaning formula…
Compare Bissell 1548 ProHeat with other carpet cleaners for pet owners
Perhaps, Bissell is the only brand which has a lot of models for pet messes treatments. There are several Bissell carpet cleaners for pet owners such as DeepClean Premier Pet Deep Cleaner 17N4, DeepClean Deluxe Pet Deep Cleaner 36Z9, DeepClean Premier Deep Cleaner 47A2 and ProHeat 2X Premier 47A23. When comparing the Bissell 1548 with those models, the Bissell 1548 has the following pros and cons
Hoover FH50251PC Power Scrub Elite Pet Carpet Cleaner
“PICK ME because I’m the newest from Hoover, packed with latest features and affordable”
The Hoover FH50251PC Power Scrub Elite Pet Carpet Cleaner is the latest model from Hoover which is packed with all of Hoover experiences to give the best performance machine so far. This model includes all of the best features from Hoover Power scrub Deluxe FH50150, Hoover Max Extract 60 Pro FH50220 and Bissell 1548 Proheat models such as rinse mode, spinscrub brush, deep clean mode, quick clean mode, auto mixing detergent, pet tools. Beyond that, it has a bigger water tank, extra fast carpet drying time (45 mins in quick clean mode), and made with antimicrobial materials so it can avoid the growth of bacteria, mildew. Those improvements make this model the first choice of over 8,900 users, even it is just released.
Highlighting features of Hoover FH50251PC Power Scrub Elite Pet Carpet Cleaner
- 2-in-1 antimicrobial pet tool
- Antimicrobial brushroll: the bacteria often stick into the brush head which cause a lot of issues such as brushhead smell and breakage over a few years. This new technology will make the brush head more durable and has no smell after cleaning.
- Forced heated cleaning: to make the carpet dry faster
- Lightweight, big water tank capacity.
- Has Deep Clean Mode and Quick Clean Mode for different cleaning circumstances
- Rinse Mode let you rinse the carpet with water only by using a switch. This is important to remove all of the chemical residues out of carpets because these chemical residues are not good for children
Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner
“PICK ME because I’m the “all-in-one” portable unit”
The Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner is one of the most robust and compact portable carpet cleaner on the market that delivers deep cleaning (not many portable carpet cleaning machine can do deep cleaning, but only surface cleaning) that will recover your carpet from tough spots, stains from carpets, stairs, upholstery and more.
This small but powerful carpet cleaner is designed as a single unit that is every easy to use therefore you do not need to worry about machine’s installations at all. Aimed for small area deep cleaning, the Bissell portable carpet cleaner comes along with a wide range of handtools, 3 inch tough stain brush (for small spot cleaning), 6 inch stair tool for stair and upholstery cleaning. If you are a pet owner, this Spotclean Pro will save your time from cleaning the pet messes and smells.
Highlighting features of Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner
- The machine comes in a compact, fully established model
- Long hose (5 flex hose) and long power cord, easy for maneuvering and auto-detailing
- Stair tools, spot removal tools and Deep cleaning formula (8 ounces) included
- Bigger water tank size so you do not need to replace the water often
- 2 years limited warranty time
- 17 pounds
Pros & cons Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner
Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner
“PICK ME because I’m the strongest carpet cleaner that can give professional cleaning results”
The Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine is the one that you can find at rental units because this monster carpet cleaner is designed for deep cleaning, robust and persistent for years of wide area cleaning.Currently, this commercial carpet shampooer receives highest rating in all aspects from users nationwide. They claimed that this is the only model that worthy to invest in long term.
The differences between Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine and others is that it could clean thick, shaggy carpet deeply, while major carpet cleaners (upright version and commercial version may fail to clean such kind of shaggy carpet). So, if your floor is covered by loop carpet, uncut carpet or tile carpet, an upright carpet cleaner will do the job easily. On the other hands, if you floor is covered by shaggy carpet, hard surface carpet with higher traffic frequency, the Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine will save your time, labor and cleaning cost in long term.
Highlighting features of Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green
- Clean faster and deeper than any carpet cleaner at rental units, claimed by Bissell.
- Rotating dirt-lifter powered brushes. Bissell uses a motor within the brush unit to enable deep cleaning by the suction power of the motor. Only this Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine has the powered brush on the market so far.
- Big, adjustable water tank for big area cleaning without changing the water
- Long hose, long power cord and accessories (stain tools, upholstery tools) for optimal cleaning results at any surface.
- Easy to use as it is already established
- Professional Cleaning Formula from Bissell included in the selling package
- Sturdy design and heavy duty machine (52 lbs.)
- 5 years limited warranty
Pros and Cons Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green
BISSELL DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner, 17N4
“PICK ME because I’m one of the best for pet messes caring”
If you have some dogs and cats in your apartment, sometimes they accidentally make the urine, feces on the carpet. These messes are more difficult to clean than food spillage because the urine will stick into the fibers, causing the smell to last for weeks if you do not treat properly. This BISSELL DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner, 17N4 is the solution that will help you to clean your carpet very well, especially for the pet messes.
Unlike other upright carpet cleaners, this model is added with some functions such as heatwave technology to maintain the water temperature at optimum for cleaning and a pet hair collector that will filter the hair and keep in a basket so it won’t affect the brush or the hose.
Pros and cons of BISSELL DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner, 17N4
Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner
“PICK ME because I can suck up 75% water back to let your carpet dry in no time”
Rug Doctor is one of the leading manufacturers in cleaning industry with the longest history in the USA. This Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner is one of their innovation that is introduced recently, gaining a lot of public attention.
The Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner is an upright carpet cleaner with powerful deep cleaning activities. The machine can not only clean regular carpet but also carpet with high traffic, heavy soils and worst stain. This can be done because the Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner has a very strong motor power that can suck every dirt and water out of the carpet. The dual rotating brush will loosen the dirt and the motor will suck up to 75% of the water it sprays out. Therefore, your carpet is cleaner in a shorter time.
This model is comparable to Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220 in terms of functions, efficiency, cleaning results and short carpet drying time.
Pros and cons of Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner
Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner Machine
“PICK ME because I have the most powerful motor in portable range (10 amps)”
Appeared shortly on the portable carpet cleaner segment, this Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner Machine possesses a lot of updating features that outrank other portable carpet cleaners on the market. The machine has a 10 amps motor which gives exceptional suction power, comparable to an upright carpet cleaner. Compared to others (a normal portable carpet cleaner only has 3 amps motor or 6 amps motor maximum), this design gives the machine unbeatable cleaning effectiveness.
Highlighting features of Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner Machine
- Motorized brushes is used for better dirt extraction
- Lightweight (15 lbs.)
- Easy for moving around because it has 4 wheels. The wheels are also carpet friendly, it will not leave any mark on the carpet after traveling through.
- 2 tank design for easier filling and cleaning the tank
- Durable hose so you will never worry the hose will be broken by times.
- Ready to use as it is fully assembled.
How to choose a carpet cleaner- Buying guide
Choosing a best carpet cleaner requires certain understanding on the machine specifications. In this buying guide, we will show you how to choose the best carpet cleaner that will fit to your budget and cleaning situation.
Consider of carpet cleaner price
A carpet cleaner on the market nowadays can be priced from $50-$400, depending on the design of the machine, the functions, the brands and other advanceed technologies that a carpet cleaner can have. Typically, hand-held carpet cleaner range from $50-$100, a portable carpet cleaner is around $120, an upright carpet cleaner ranges $110-$250 and a commercial/ professional carpet cleaner ranges $250 upwards.
+ Hand-held carpet cleaners: are those with small size and battery use so you can bring around for cleaning small area. The Hand-held carpet cleaner is suitable for auto-detailing job mostly.
+ Portable carpet cleaner: the portable carpet cleaner is lightweight cleaning unit that is aimed to clean spot, spillage, stains, and upholstery. If you are dealing with spot cleaning mostly, a portable carpet cleaner will do the job perfectly.
+ Upright carpet cleaner: the upright carpet cleaner is designed to clean bigger space such as a room, walking zone, hotel, spot cleaning, stain cleaning pet mess treatment and more. An upright carpet cleaner one that is suitable for regular home use. Sometimes, an upright carpet cleaner can also clean well on other surfaces such as grouts and tiles.
+ Commercial carpet cleaner: the commercial carpet cleaner is designed to clean heavy traffic area, soiled area and spacious area. Recently due to the reduction in price, commercial carpet cleaner is also the choice of thousands of home users.
Consider the type of a carpet cleaner
As mentioned above, depending on your cleaning purpose you should choose the suitable carpet cleaner design. Users mostly choose either upright carpet cleaner or commercial carpet cleaner.
In the carpet cleaning industry, Bissell, Hoover, Rug Doctor and Dirt Devil are those famous brand that dominated the whole business. It cannot be clearly say which brand is better than others because they have their own unique selling points. For example, Bissell is adorable by the machine’s quality and customer services, Rug Doctor is aimed for workmanship and persistence, Hoover is loved by the cutting-edge technologies and lower prices. They all have their fan bases.
A lower amperage motor is often translated into lower suction ability, but this is not correct because the machine suction power will also depend on the design. However it is expected that a more powerful motor will perform better. As a general rules
Hand-held carpet cleaner and portable carpet cleaner will have lower motor power (from 3 amps to 6 amps generally), and an upright carpet cleaner will have a 9amps up to 12 amps.
Must-have features of a basic carpet cleaner
There are some basic functions and features that you need to look for when choosing a carpet cleaner than others. For example, a carpet cleaner should have rotating brush, dual water tank, hose and cleaning tools for customization. You should also need to notice the weight because some are heavier than others, and the warranty time. It should last for at least 1 year.
Should-have features of an advanced carpet cleaner
Depending on the model that a carpet cleaner may have features that let your cleaning time becomes less tedious and run faster with better cleaning level. These functions are: auto-mix detergent (that you do not need to mix the formula your own), water heating (that will warm up the water at optimum temperature), water warming (that will keep the water warm always during cleaning), and multiple cleaning modes (for different cleaning circumstances), and multiple surfaces cleaning…
Consider the ease of use
Some machines are ready to work after you open the package but some requires basic installation. If you are not a so mechanical person, it is better for you to choose fully assembled models.
Hopefully with the above buying tips, you can choose the best carpet cleaner for your using purpose. If you are still unsure, just check out the top rated carpet cleaner 2016-2017 to see and find out the best one.
You may love to read
- Best spot carpet cleaner – Buying guide and reviews of top models for pet stains, spillage and upholstery cleaning
- Best vacuum cleaner – Buying guide and reviews of the best and popular choice at good price
- Carpet cleaner deals – Featuring daily deals of carpet cleaners from best brands like Bissell, Hoover, Rug Doctor.